- This event has passed.
Fairtrade Wine Month – International
November 1, 2015 - November 30, 2015
November is international Fairtrade Wine Month. This international campaign aims to turn the spotlight on Fairtrade wine farm workers, most of whom reside in the Western Cape, South Africa. The campaign also shows consumers that when they opt for Fairtrade wines they are actively voting for the promotion of ethical and sustainable wine grape production in South Africa.
5 Reasons why you should buy Fairtrade wine:
1. When you buy a Fairtrade wine, 70c of the price you pay goes directly into the hand of farm workers. If every adult South African bought one bottle of Fairtrade wine in November, over 26 million rands will be invested in the improvement of life in the winelands.
2. The impact of Fairtrade is real and visible and means better opportunities for future generations. For Leonie Engelbrecht, Fairtrade translates into the empowerment of women in the community; and for this group of farm kids, Fairtrade means being given the opportunity to be part of a chess club that will see team members participating in the South African Junior Chess Championships in Kimberley in January 2015.
3. By buying a Fairtrade wine you are supporting sustainable farming in South Africa and the world around.
4. Two thirds of the 20 million litres of Fairtrade wine sold globally come from South Africa! With your support we can show the world that Mzansi is the leader in ethical and sustainable wine making!
5. Does one really need an excuse to drink more wine? We’ve got one more for you! Did you know that South African Fairtrade wines win medals all over the world, as well as at local competitions like the Michelangelo International Wine Awards. Now that’s the way to combine quality with sustainability.